Keeping active with your mind and body is vital for all ages and more so the older you get.
There is a lot of talk regarding taking 10,000 steps a day for extra fitness – this may sound a lot but can be achieved very easily.
I often manage between 10,000 and 12,000 steps a day.
10,000 steps can amount to around 5 miles a day.
If you are in any doubt about any form of exercise and how it could affect your health do check with your Doctor first.
- Walking 10,000 steps a day may sound a lot but is very easy to achieve.
You can keep a track on your steps via many different downloads on your smart phone or even by purchasing a pedometer.
The following can help you get the 10,000 steps a day without a massive change in lifestyle
- Getting off the bus one or two stops earlier and then walking the rest of the way. You can do this on the way to or from work.
- Why not get off the tube one stop earlier or do you really need to get the tube if you only have a few stops? Walk and you can explore more of the local area – – and if a tube strike happens you already know how to get to your office.
- When you get to work why not walk up or down the stairs instead of the lift
- Instead of sitting at your desk eating your lunch – pop out for 15 mins and do some window shopping
- In the office instead of calling a colleague or sending an email why not get up and walk to their desk to speak to them
- Offer to do the tea run
- Take the dog out for a walk instead of leaving it to another member of the family
- Instead of taking the car on the school run why not walk with the children (of course weather permitting)
- Listen to music while walking (but of course only when it is completely safe and not when crossing the road)
- Get a Fitbit and record your steps. Set yourself a challenge to beat it each day
- Why not walk with a friend or challenge a friend on a daily basis to see who had walked the most in a week – the loser then buys the coffee on a Friday
- When doing your weekly supermarket shop why not walk around the shop twice or go up and down the aisle several times
- Breakdown the steps into small manageable chunks
Above all enjoy.